Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What Does he know?

Today was a beautiful spring day. Finally, finally, icicles dripped and water ran and snow melted. Oh, at long last. Could it be the last of winter?

But then, late this evening I went out for a stroll and there was a frigid wind blowing. The temp was around freezing which is to be expected at nightfall, but with the wind chill it felt like more miserable winter weather.

So I said to Hub, “What are we in for tomorrow? Did you listen to the weather?”

“Yes,” he said, “and the guy on the news said cold and blowing snow for the next three days.”

I pulled my longest fed-up-with-winter face.

“Don’t look so down,” Hub said. “What does he know? The guy is just a meteorologist. He’s not a weather man.”

Oh what good news.

P.S. I can only surmise from that discussion that a meteorologist studies weather patterns, but a weather man can construe weather more to Hub’s liking without any patterns.

6 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh well, that explains a lot of things. Huh, I think I'll go along with Hub's theory.

Roberta S said...

Thanks for visiting, Joy. Hub was right -- the weatherman was right and the meteorologist was so wrong. Today the sun is warm, skies bright, and water rushing down every pipe, ditch, and downward slope. I really am almost convinced that spring has sprung.

joared said...

I wonder what to think of the reports from our Los Angeles area TV weatherpersons who also claim meteorology credentials?

Roberta S said...

Hi joared. I think if you match the weather up with those metereorologist forecasts, you too, will become an advocate of 'weathermen'. :)

Dick said...

Such a crucial distinction. Lab-bound scientist versus guy who can look out of his window and read the clouds!

Roberta S said...

Dick, you make me laugh. That is it exactly. Perfectly described.